Create beautiful glass forms with the ancient glass working craft of pâte de verre. This class is an introduction to a variety of ways of working in this diverse casting technique.
“It kick started my imagination and enthusiasm to try new ideas and techniques.”
You will finish this class with one small bowl and samples using the pâte de verre technique.
Time and Place
Duration 2 days - 10.00am to 4.00pm - total 12 hours
Warm Glass UK, 5 Havyat Park, Wrington, Bristol. BS40 5PA
Many inspirational artists such as Alicia Lomné and Deborah Horrell use pâte de verre and Bullseye glass to create stunning works. The literal translation of pâte de verre means ‘paste of glass’, the technique involves hand packing layers of frit and powders into a mould.
Learn how to create and pack moulds with glass frit to create beautiful unique works of art which look delicate and fragile but are surprisingly strong. We will cover appropriate mould making methods and mould types suitable for pâte de verre, as well as technical aspects of firing to achieve different results. Learn how to use powders and fine frit to play with different surface pattern, design, colour and textures. Explore the different tools and techniques used especially for pâte de verre.
This class is suitable for those who wish to make sculptural pieces. Some casting experience is helpful but not essential.
Teacher - Claire Hall, professional jewellery designer maker.
We provide lunch for all those attending our courses. Please click here for more details.
What to Prepare
- prerequisite: one day taster class at Warm Glass UK or similar experience
- information on your booking will be e-mailed to you prior to the course date
- please wear work clothes and closed toe shoes
- we provide dust masks, however if you have your own, you may wish to bring it
- all materials and a delicious lunch are included and all the necessary tools are provided
- please advise us if you require a vegetarian lunch or have any food allergies
- we restrict the class size to 8 people
- we teach using Bullseye Glass (CoE90)
Cancellations up to 4 weeks before the course 90% refund, after that date a 50% refund will be given up to 1 week prior to the course. Cancellation of any class incurs a 10% admin fee of the total cost of the class. In order to keep class costs low for all, we make no exceptions to this policy.